The Police Officers Support Alliance supports the election of the legislators and candidates who are committed to advancing legislation that will help our police and first responders. Sitting legislators demonstrate commitment by introducing, cosponsoring, speaking for, and voting in favor of bills addressing important police and first responder concerns. Of these, the most valuable action a legislator can take is to introduce a bill.
To help identify appropriate legislators and candidates to support, we are following legislators’ actions on bills from the current (115th) congressional session, most of which have bipartisan support.
Below we list the goals of the Police Officers Support Alliance and important bills introduced in this congressional session that support each of these goals. Throughout the spring and summer, we will be monitoring the primaries. Once each party has selected their candidate for the general election in a race, we will map the key sponsors of each of the bills supporting our goals against the competitive races. We will then support the election of the most supportive candidates in the competitive races. In this way we put our supporters’ contributions to work with the highest leverage in support of our law enforcement officers and first responders.
Legislative Goal: Make the job of law enforcement safer.
- H.R. 2228 / S. 867 “Law Enforcement Mental Health and Wellness Act” became Public Law No. 115-113.
- H.R. 613 / S. 1084 “Lieutenant Osvaldo Albarati Self-Protection Act”
- H.R. 1039 / S. 367 “Probation Officer Self-Protection Act”
- H.R. 2561 “Protecting Police in Civilian Establishments Act”
Legislative Goal: Make appropriate levels of funding to public safety.
- Representatives’ letter to President Trump asking him to prioritize Community Oriented Policing (COPS) funding in FY2019 budget
- S. 2774 “COPS Reauthorization Act of 2018”
Legislative Goal: Provide benefits to families and police officers killed or injured while protecting us.
- S. 419 “Public Safety Officer Benefits Improvement Act” became Public Law No. 115-36.
- H.R. 5060 “Heroes Lesley Zerebny and Gilbert Vega First Responders Survivors Support Act”
- H.R. 949 / S. 597 “Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship Act” included in Consolidated Appropriations Act signed as PL 115 – 141.
Legislative Goal: Keep our towns, communities, and citizens safe with appropriate laws.
- H.R. 2513 “Police Officers Protecting Children Act”
- H.R. 909 / S. 322 “Pet and Women Safety Act”
- H.R. 3067 “Online Safety Modernization Act”
- H.R. 1428 / S. 583 “American Law Enforcement Heroes Act” became Public Law No. 115-37
- H.R. 4601 / S. 1312 “Human Trafficking Victims Protection Act”
- H.R. 3249 / S. 2703 “Project Safe Neighborhoods Grant Program Reauthorization”
Legislative Goal: Reduce criminal behavior that endangers the lives of police, first responders, and the communities they serve.
- H.R. 5698/ S. 2794 “Protect and Serve”
- H.R. 115 / S. 1085 “Thin Blue Line”
- H.R. 2437 / S. 1134 “Back the Blue”